shettihalli wildlife sanctuary, Shimoga
Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the famous wildlife sanctuaries of Karnataka. Situated in the Shimoga (Shivamogga) district of Karnataka, this wildlife sanctuary is home to a variety of flora and fauna. The sanctuary covers an area of 395.6 sq. km. The sanctuary is divided into three zones, namely- core zone, buffer zone and tourism zone. It was declared a wildlife sanctuary on 23rd November, 1974.
Quick Facts :
- Timing of Sanctuary: Open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM on all days of the week except Tuesday
- Timing of Safari: Open from 10:00 AM to 01:30 PM, and from 2:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- Entry Fee: Required
- Photography: Allowed
- Video Camera: Allowed against extra charge
- Visit duration: 4 to 5 hours
- Best time to visit: From November to January
How to reach the Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary :
- The sanctuary lies at a distance of about 326 km from Bangalore.
- The nearest airport to reach Shimoga is located in Mangalore that lies at a distance of around 165 kilometres. Private vehicles are available to reach the wildlife sanctuary from the airport.
- The nearest railway station is located in Shimoga. Visitors can take trains from major cities of Karnataka to reach Shimoga. Taxis and local buses are available from the railway station to reach the sanctuary.
- The Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary is well connected by the road network. Several buses connect Shimoga to various parts of Karnataka. From Shivamogga visitors can easily take a local bus or taxi to reach the sanctuary. Private vehicles can also be hired by visitors to reach the sanctuary from nearby cities and towns.
Reference : http://www.karnataka.com/shimoga/shettihalli-wildlife-sanctuary/